Wednesday, March 18, 2009

2 text or not 2 text...that is the ?

Last week, my hometown (Detroit) was all abuzz about the infamous text messages that were released to the media between former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and a number of his aids, family members and *ahem* conquests. Never mind many of the messages were over 5 years old, it was still all over the news and on the minds of those who could not get enough of the scandalous details. Now, I will admit that I was curious, not so much because I give a hoot about who Kwame was sleeping with, but because this story reminds me of how little privacy we have left in our society. There used to be a time that a conversation between you and another person, was just that, an "A&B" conversation (C your way out - hee hee). These days anything you say, text, write or record is fair game. As someone who has shared a few questionable email and text message exchanges in my day (like you haven't), after reading about the K.K. fiasco I started to think, what if one day I decided to run for public office (highly unlikely) would my ex-husband sell all of our torrid text message exchanges to make a few bucks? Would it matter? Or what about that guy I dated in college, certainly he may want get in on the action. (Come to think of it, I think I'm safe there - we were still using pagers when I was in college). Anyhow, these days I pay close attention to what I write when I'm texting, IMing and emailing people. Both my personal and professional conversations are carefully crafted to avoid any post-conversation drama or embarrassment, and for the most part I think I've been successful (except for that one exchange, but that's an entirely different post all together). Good thing I've always preferred a face to face exchange, even in this strangely impersonal data filled world we live in. So, what about you? Has the Kilpatrick fiasco or any other story like it changed the way you communicate using technology? Let's talk. Thursday at 8:00am ET on Cocoa Mode in the Eagles Nest on XM Channel 169. Until then....

No comments: